Friday, July 22, 2011

Could KPU and hypothyroidism type 2 be the same thing ... related to poor recovery from Lyme?

I'm starting to think that these things I keep noticing that pop up together might be related ...

A friend told me last night that she found an article saying:

The minerals required to metabolize insulin are also used to metabolize thyroid hormone properly: Selenium, zinc, Vitamin E, B6, Manganese.

Sounds like what people take for KPU, she said. Yes!

With Type 2 Hypothyroidism, the thyroid gland produces "normal" amounts of hormone, but the cells are unable to utilize the hormone properly. Some experts call this thyroid hormone resistance (which may be regarded as similar to insulin resistance). 

Type 2 hypothyroidism can be associated with:
-autoimmune disorders
-blood sugar disorders
-TMJ
-fatigue
-chronic Candida
-depression and mental illness
-carpal tunnel
-tinnitus

Hell doesn't that sound like what a lot of us with Lyme and fatigue deal with (and perhaps why we don't get over Lyme -- impaired or abnormal immunity?).

Consider the most obvious effect of an under-active thyroid: reduced cell metabolism of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. This not only means inefficient transport of nutrients into the cell membrane, but also inefficient transport of wastes out. As holistic practitioners well know, inadequate nourishment and the buildup of toxins (regardless of the cause) can exacerbate or outright cause virtually all conditions that we call "disease."
Yeah, and maybe it could cause basically everything in that long list of 300 things that my friends and I with Lyme tend to have in common.

I am soooo expecting to find a way that hypothyroidism Type 2 could be related to this longer fourth finger and in women. Something from not metabolizing sex hormones well? or insulin causing increased androgens?

You know if this is it ... then so much for deep-seated generational trauma ... maybe my ancestors and I have weird genes and are prone to these problems ... could explain a lot of the alcoholism, mental problems, personality issues, etc. We all know that certain patterns run in families and assume they are due to learning/example which of course is important but

It's funny because as someone whose body changes a lot from intense treatments, i see my personality change drastically with no therapy, and the way I relate to family members and others changes just on the basis of changes in my health. Therapy will change things too, but bodily changes are the most powerful.

How much of family dynamics is ... shared health problems?


- - -

The way you think of your problems really changes how you feel.

-Thinking of Lyme as something random and unnecessary that happened to me ONLY because I had a tick bite is depressing. But it's not true--there was a lot of other stuff that needed to be in place for the tick bite to affect me so much.

-Thinking of yourself as scarred by your family is depressing. More fun to realize that much of what seems like "the way life is" are "dreams" and you can wake up from them as well as getting more examples of other ways of relating.

-It's a new way to think of EVERYTHING in my life, my own health issues as well as my parents' problems and generational patterns -- as type 2 hypothyroidism (and we have many rare symptoms and patterns that fit this perfectly.... babies born late with high birth weight, jaundice in babies, bunions, bow-legged babies, poor metabolizing of copper and medications, plus the usual/basic symptoms like low body temperature and very fine hair).

Instead of thinking it's this big ... you just need to "wake up" some -- get the mitochondrial thermostat up, and a lot of problems "melt" away.

e.g. the chronic awkwardness and isolation in my family. It's hard to handle it, but ... what if we are just hypothyroid? I used to be far more socially awkward (than I am now!) but the amount of thyroid help I've had so far really, really helped with that. I've heard of others whose Asperger's and food sensitivities went way down with thyroid treatment.

- - -


The article goes on to say that hypothyroidism type 2 could be related to adrenal fatigue:

Inadequate thyroid hormone at the cellular level also negatively impacts other glands. "Without the crucial influence of thyroid hormones," Starr emphasizes, "proper maturation and function of the other hormone glands is not possible." To compensate for the weakness and low metabolism caused by inadequate thyroid hormone, other parts of the body overwork, including the adrenals and the sympathetic nervous system. This may cause the subject to temporarily experience a rapid heartbeat and/or feel hyperactive, jittery, and restless – until exhaustion sets in from the unnatural attempts to compensate for low thyroid hormone levels. More often, though, the majority of sufferers simply feel fatigued and weak most of the time.


I can't tolerate Armour or Naturethyroid myself because my T4/T3 conversion seems bad, or maybe I make too much RT3. Last time I tried Armour it made me feel more hypothyroid with even more PVCs (a sign of low T3 in my experience). But slow-release T3 fixes my PVCs. I've always had a lot of PVCs most of my life, but since getting on slow-release T3 they are way down and my heartbeat is more steady.

- - -

My friend intelligently pointed out that the minerals mentioned here are exactly those that people take for KPU (also called HPU):

To assist in the conversion of T4 to T3, supplementation with selenium, zinc, and vitamins E and B6 are usually indicated. Manganese, known to protect the thyroid and liver, is sometimes called the "anti-pear nutrient," so named because it helps eliminate the faulty weight distribution pattern common with hypothyroid people. Thyroid hormone increases the enzyme levels in the body. Since vitamins are essential constituents of both enzymes and co-enzymes, increased thyroid hormone levels require a higher intake of vitamins.

It's funny ... we might be treating several things with the same nutrients. Are we all treating the same thing, regardless of what we call it?

Ann-Louise Gittleman recommends exactly these nutrients for "copper toxicity."
They are recommended for KPU/HPU.
They are also good for helping thyroid hormone conversion.

- - -

Unfortunately, hypothyroidism is often the last possibility considered for those who are unwell. Since thyroid hormones are intricately related to virtually every bodily function, hypothyroidism can cause or exacerbate an almost unlimited number of conditions that initially might not seem related to each other. This points to the importance of applying an integrative approach to how the body functions, instead of perceiving various conditions as discrete "diseases."

YES! I've been thinking about this lately when noticing this "syndrome" of people stunningly similar to me and to one another, with very similar life histories and a number of rare symptoms we have in common. It seems silly to think of each of our disease conditions as discrete and separate and "i.i.d" when disease conditions tend to cluster. I've just been piling on the things that people seem to have in common in this cluster and trying to figure out if there is anything that ties it together.

This is exciting. Please write to me if you know of other things I should look into related to this.

- - -

1 comment:

  1. It was seven years ago that I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. That time I was very sick. But after two year of taking desiccated bovine supplements i was able to manage my TSH levels back to normal.

    ReplyDelete

Guide to getting what you want from this blog

If you are a healthy person, you might like posts on: meaning of life, spirituality, nonduality, how health affects personality, weird ideas, criticism of medicine, ideas for better healthcare, feminism, thought experiments, personal growth.

If you have Lyme or invisible illness, you might like: explaining Lyme, Lyme disease, Lyme and family, explaining Lyme, illness and esteem, Lyme rage, emotional fatigue, illness and identity, discrimination against sick people, illness and young people.

If you are going through recovery from illness, read recovery after illness.

I love hearing from readers. You can reach me at the gmaill address freeideasblog1.

Like this blog? Like Free Ideas on facebook!
or subscribe to my youtube channel.
- - -